Congregation Beth Jacob Ohev Sholom (which means “House of Jacob/Lover of Peace”) is the oldest Orthodox congregation on Long Island (including Brooklyn and Queens), and one of the last remaining non-Hasidic Jewish institutions in Williamsburg.
The congregation was formed in 1869 by traditional Orthodox German Jews who broke away from the Keap Street Synagogue over the installation and use of an organ (the use of which violates Jewish Law.)
It constructed its first building on Keap Street in 1870. In 1904 it merged with Chevra Ansche Sholom, and took the name Congregation Beth Jacob Anshe Sholom. The following year it constructed a new building at 274–276 South Third Street, designed by the noted architect George F. Pelham.
In the 1950’s, the synagogue building was expropriated and demolished to make way for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. The Sephardic Congregation Beth Sholom found themselves in a similar situation, so the two congregations merged as Congregation Beth Jacob Ohev Sholom, and constructed our current building at 284 Rodney Street, just south of Broadway, in 1957.
- Rabbi Dresser 1869 to ?
- Rabbi Lewis Levinsky ? to 1887
- Rabbi Hyman Rosenberg 1887-1892
- Rabbi Abraham Salbaum 1893-?
- Rabbi Dr. H.Veld ? – 1907
- Rabbi Samuel Rabinowitz 1907-1912
- Rabbi Wolf Gold 1912-1919; helped found the first American branch of Mizrahi (the Religious Zionists of America); in 1917, helped found Yeshiva Torah Vodaas, and was its first president; emigrated to Palestine in 1935, and was one of the signatories of the Israeli Declaration of Independence
- Rabbi Solomon Golobowsky 1919-1926
- Rabbi Isaac Bunin 1926-1965; author of Hegyonot Yitzhak
- Rabbi Chaim Pincus 1957-1971; Assistant Principal at Yeshiva Torah Voda’as
- Rabbi Joshua Fishman 1971-2014; served as Executive Vice President of Torah U’Mesorah
- Rabbi Yehoshua Mizrachi 2016-2018